As some of you may know, I am a cheer mom – and like every other parent involved in our children's sport or activity, we sometimes tend to be the unsung heros and the behind the scenes do-ers. Therefore I decided that our cheer parents needed a little 'cheer' and so.... if you go to the football game Wednesday evening to watch our undefeated Thunderbirds play against Hyde Academy, you will see a bunch of parents with purple and white fleece scarves. These are called 'no sew' scarves and they are incredibly easy to make – think stocking stuffers or a hostess gift. This is how to make them (see illustrations).
- Purchase 1/3 of a yard each of two colors of blizzard or anti-pill fleece (60"wide which is standard). This will make a single 60" long by 10" wide scarf. If you need multiples, then 1.5 yards each of 2 colors will make six 48" long by 10" wide scarves.
- Cut the material into 10" wide strips (either length of material for a single scarf or six 10" wide strips by 48" long.
- Layer two strips, one of each color, on top of each other.
- If you sew, sew down the center of the layered strips lengthwise. If not, just pin down the center lengthwise.
- Cut 1" strips lengthwise down the strip. Cut almost to the center to where you have either pinned the material or sewn it. Do only one side at a time to make the material easier to handle.
- Hand-knot the top and bottom strips together.
That's it! Come out to the game Wednesday, admire our cheer parents and their scarves and also watch as the young kids turn out for Spirit Night, where they will cheer with our varsity squad and also do a halftime cheer. It's going to be a fun evening!!!