In addition to the regular questions of 'What's new in your department?' and 'What's something residents should know?,' this week North Branford Patch is already thinking about (sorry kids!) and asks our town officials, including Matthew Canelli, chief of the , about their favorite subject to study growing up.
North Branford Patch: What’s new in your department?
Canelli: The sidewalks in front of the police department were recently repaired to provide a safe and handicapped accessible entrance to the building.
North Branford Patch: What's something residents should know?
Canelli: With the here are some important school bus safety tips to review with your kids:
- Always walk on the sidewalk to the bus stop, never run. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the far left side, facing traffic.
- Go to the bus stop about five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive. While at the bus stop, wait quietly in a safe place well away from the road. Do not run and play while waiting.
- Hands should be kept to yourself at all times while riding on the bus. Fighting and picking on others creates a dangerous bus ride.
- Never throw things on the bus or out the windows. Keep the aisles clear at all times. Feet should be directly in front of you on the floor and book bags should be kept on your lap. Large instruments or sports equipment should not block the aisle or emergency exits.
- Never play with the emergency exits; listen to the driver and follow instructions.
- Always cross the street in front of the bus. Never go behind the bus. If you drop something near the bus, tell the bus driver before you attempt to pick it up, so they will know where you are.
- Never speak to strangers at the bus stop and never get into the car with a stranger. Always go straight home and tell you parents if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up.
- Always Respect the area which surrounds all sides of the bus. The "Danger Zone" is ten feet wide on all sides of the bus. Always remain 10 steps away from the bus to be out of the "Danger Zone" and where the driver can see you.
North Branford Patch: What was your favorite subject in school growing up?
Canelli: Math was always my favorite.
Stay tuned for more responses from other officials throughout the week. Want to check out more '3 Questions' topics and see what other officials had to say? Scroll down for more!