Some "real" sports writers believed that the Spartans would be scalped by the Indians, but their loyal fans and I thought differently.
Those of us who believed in them watched with pride as the Amity Football team battled it out with their mighty North Haven competitors.
As I stated in my column yesterday, Amity's players all have heart, they care, they play hard and even if they stumble, they are there for one another with great sportsmanship.
Captain Tyler Vallie teared up as he won the MVP award for the game, and he was still disappointed in the outcome of the game as he entered the locker room.
Yes it was tough for the seniors who left their last high school game in defeat, but they have to know that despite the loss, we are so proud of them for everything they've done all season long.
This was, in no way a slaughter, and by far not the worst loss of the season.
But, I get it... Thanksgiving, the BIG GAME, the last game of the year, the last time this entire team will play together. A lot of emotions have to factor in.
When you look at the incomplete passes and any other missed opportunities, think about the North Haven player who ran with the ball and made a bee line for the goal, but he dropped the ball around the 14 yard line and didn't realize it until he got up to the goal line. Then turned around and looked back and went... "oops." But I'm sure it wasn't "oops" that came out of his mouth.
Among the memorable moments from this game were the following:
• Senior Codey Ellison (5) grabbed the ball at the Indians Goal line and ran it back to the 15 yard line in the first quarter.
• North Haven scored a touchdown in the first quarter and the kick was good score 7-0
• Amity kicked the ball and got 3 points on the scoreboard — score, first quarter 7-3.
• North Haven's Joe Schwab (8) made a touchdown in the second quarter but the kick was bad. bringing the score to 13-3.
HALF TIME score 13-3
• North Haven made another touchdown in the third quarter with 1:52 to go. Score is 20-3
• Third Quarter Codey Ellison intercepted the ball and ran it way back (17 yards?)
• North Haven's Joe Schwab (8) made his third touchdown in the fourth quarter with 5:26 left on the clock and the kick was good. score 27-3.
• There was an incomplete pass to Cory Ricks at the Spartans Goal line in the fourth quarter.
• Moments later, Cole German made a touchdown with 1:21 to go. Lyle Luth's kick was good bringing the score to 27-10.
*** Video to come.