The indoor track program, now in its sixth season, boasts more than 70 athletes. Captains Sarah McDonald, Robert Martino and Jessica Wharton will lead the team. The T-Birds look to replace , Nick Balzano, Anthony Iuteri, Michael Mercier and Lauren Vorio, who were top contributors in the 2011 graduating class.
Athletes returning to the boys’ team expected to score points in the Shoreline Conference include Martino (55, 300, Long Jump, 4x200), Matt Edwards (300, 600, SMR, 4x400), Gary Falanga (4x200, 4x400, 300), Bobby Miller (300, 600, 4x200), Ryan Proto (300, 600, 4x400, 4x800), Rocco Morgan (Shot Put), Zach Augur (4x800 and 1000), Chris Olsen (4x800 and SMR), Sean O’Connor (4x800, long jump), Alex Raffone (4x800, 4x400, 300), Jordan Rippe (Shot Put), Kevin Walker (4x800, 1600, 3200), Jason Conforte (3200, 4x800) and Michael Cermola (High Jump, Long Jump).
On the girls’ side, key returnees are McDonald (4x800, 1600, 3200), Wharton (Shot Put), Rachel Boyers (Pole Vault, 55 Hurdles, Long Jump), Miranda Jassil (300, 600,SMR), Jordan Miket (SMR, High Jump, 4x200, 300), Chelsea Meagher (4x800, 1600, 3200), Natalie Baughan (4x200, 300, SMR), Leah Martino (55, SMR, 4x200), Megan Rabuffo (600, 4x800), Allie Raucci (55 Hurdles, 55), Alexis Johnson (Shot) and Stephanie Sileo (Shot).
There are also a number of first-year athletes who show promise including Andrew Sarmento, Marc Fillion and Bryce Mase for the boys’ team and Marissa Bale, Jen Levine, Katelyn Pantera, Sara Olsen, Bryana Saroka, Rachel Sokolff, Katie Stevens and Marisa Tomaso for the girls.
“Our goal this year is to continue on the road of establishing a tradition at the high school for both the boys’ and girls’ indoor track team and be competitive in the Shoreline Conference as well as in states,” said Coach Floyd Parness. “We now have a carryover from last year’s team that will help the new kids on the team, which will be very beneficial in the overall team’s development.”
2011-12 North Branford Indoor Track Schedule
- Tue., 12/13: Shoreline Developmental Meet Away - Athletic Center @ Hillhouse High School, 4:30 p.m.
- Sat., 1/7: Shoreline Coaches Invite Away - Athletic Center @ Hillhouse High School, 10 a.m.
- Mon., 1/9: Shoreline One Away - Athletic Center @ Hillhouse High School, 4:30 p.m.
- Sat., 1/21: HK Invitational Away - Athletic Center @ Hillhouse High School, 10 a.m.
- Fri., 1/27: Shoreline Two Away - Athletic Center @ Hillhouse High School, 4:30 p.m.
- Sat., 2/4: Shoreline Championship Away - Athletic Center @ Hillhouse High School, 10 a.m.