The 2012 New Haven St. Patrick’s Day Parade has come and gone and Officer David B. Hartman, media liaison for the New Haven Police Department reported that this year brought one of the largest crowds in recent history. Without metric to gauge the exact attendance, Hartman estimates revelers in the heart of the Downtown entertainment district at more than 20,000 but fewer than 35,000 (at any one time).
“We were pleased that in the wake of increased enforcement of laws prohibiting the public consumption of alcohol, there was a very noticeable increase in the number of younger children who lined the parade route with their families,” said Hartman in a press release.
New Haven police estimate that officers made about 40 arrests yesterday – some of which were custodial, while others were summonses to court on a promise to appear. The majority of arrests were for disorderly conduct, fighting, minor assaults, vandalism and public drinking.
Custodial Arrest Tally
- Public Drinking (not including those who were issued infractions) - 3
- Criminal Mischief (vandalism) - 3
- Disorderly Conduct (not including those who were issued infractions for Creating a Public Disturbance) - 5
- Breach of Peace - 11
- Interfering with Officers - 8
- Assault (including 1 assault on a Police Officer) - 4
- Trespassing - 2
- Drug Possession (not including an infraction issued for marijuana possession) - 1
- Inciting to Riot - 1
- Using a false ID to procure alcohol - 1
- DUI - 1