Since the blizzard hit Connecticut on Friday, Anthony Candelora has been a busy man. As North Branford's mayor, he has been working with town officials; as a resident with a plow, he has been helping those in need dig out; and as a business owner, he has been dealing with the insane amounts of snow.
As the blizzard blew into town on Friday, Candelora and his family were taking the preventative measure of taking down the "bubble" at the Connecticut Sportsplex. If you've ever been up to the Sportsplex, you'll notice it sure does look different without the big white dome inflated (see photo).
"We just shut off the blower, open the doors and let it come down," he said, noting there's a backup natural gas generator in case of power outages. "It came down pretty quick with all the weight on it."
This is only the third time in 16 years they have had to deflate the dome. However, with taking down the bubble comes putting it back up – and of course, a thick layer of snow is getting in the way.
"We'd love to get some volunteers to come down with plastic shovels to help us clear it off so we can get it back up," said Candelora.
Candelora said he hopes to have the bubble back up by Thursday at the latest in order to resume activities as soon as possible, but it all depends on how fast the snow can be removed.
"Any help we could get get would be appreciated," he said. "Once we're back in order, we'll announce a thank you party on Patch with laser tag or Cybersport to show our appreciation."
More on the Blizzard
- Malloy: "We're Hearty Stock Here in Connecticut"
- Malloy Expresses Concern About Structural Safety After Rains
- Passerby Helps Those in Overturned Car on Route 80
- Report: Private Plowers Charging Exorbitant Rates
- Are You Offering Plow Services in North Branford?
- Urgent: Travel Ban in Effect for North Branford
- National Guard Gives NBFD a Hand
- PHOTOS: North Branford Among Highest Snow Totals
- Malloy Says Snow Cleanup Will Take a 'Number of Days'
- Don't forget how hard your plow guys are working (announcement)
- Travel Ban in Effect as of 4PM
- Winter Storm Safety for Pets
- Why Do We Name Winter Storms?
- Blizzard Updates: North Branford Schools Closed
- North Branford Schools Closed in Anticipation of Blizzard
- Patch's Poll: Are You Prepared for the Blizzard?
- Blizzard Watch Issued for North Branford