There was nothing but love for North Branford's indoor track teams on Valentine's Day as they competed in the Class S State Championship at the Floyd Little Track and Field Center with the boys' team taking third place with 33 points and the girls finishing in ninth place with 18 points.
Not only did the teams finish solid as a whole, several T-Birds' athletes made their marks as well with five being named All-State and several breaking school records.
Co-captain Rachel Boyers took top honors in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 8.83, which not only earned her All-State honors, but the time broke a school record, too.
The boys' 4x400 team achieved the same feat as co-captain Matt Edwards, Gary Falanga, co-captain Ryan Proto and Alex Raffone's time of 3:33.43 earned them the victory in the event, All-State honors and a new school record.
Edwards didn't stop there as he broke school records in both the 300 (36.42) and 600 (1:25.25) to take second place in both events. Rocco Morgan's sixth-place throw of 46-5 in the shot put etched his name into the school records.
Also scoring points for the T-Birds were Emmy Dulak, who placed second in the 600 at 1:40.98 and Raffone, who took third in the 300 at 36.82.
Several other members of North Branford's indoor track teams qualified for the event, including:
- 4x200 of Emmy Dulak, Sara Olsen, co-captain Jordan Miket and Katie Stevens: 9th, 1:55.87
- SMR of Miket, Stevens, Emmy Dulak and Maggie Dulak: 9th, 4:45.12
- Boyers: 8th in the Long Jump, 15-6
- Miket: 12th in the High Jump, 4-8
- Rachel Sokoloff: 15th in the 55 Hurdles, 9.98 (personal-best)
- SMR of Jason Conforte, Nick Schneidt, Shelby Franklin: 14th, 4:03.78