On Feb. 2, the North Branford indoor track teams competed in the Shoreline Conference Indoor Championship Meet at the Floyd Little Track and Field Center. The boys’ team came in second place scoring 79 points and the girls’ team finished sixth place scoring 51.5 points.
The meet was highlighted by several top finishes as those placing first earned First Team All-Shoreline honors and those finishing second were named Second Team All-Shoreline. On the boys’ side, co-captain Matt Edwards was victorious in the 300 (36.48) and the 600 (1:27.16). He was also a part of the first-place 4x400 team with Gary Falanga, co-captain Ryan Proto and Alex Raffone that ran a meet-record time of 3:36.26. Rocco Morgan’s throw of 44-10 ¾ was good for a top finish, as well. For the girls, Rachel Boyers earned top honors in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 8.93.
Second Team All-Shoreline honors went to Raffone in the 300 (36.77) for the boys and Rachel Sokoloff in 55 (7.9) for the girls. The girls’ 1,600 sprint medley team of co-captain Jordan Miket, Emmy Dulak, Maggie Dulak and Katie Stevens placed second (4.37.99).
Several T-Birds earned third-place finishes including Raffone in the 300 (1:28.69) and 600 (1:28.69), Emmy Dulak in the 600 (1:42.82), Miket in the high jump (4-8) and the boys’ 4x800 team of Zach Augur, Ryan Proto, Jason Conforte and Sean O’Connor (8:59.70).
The remaining points-scorers for the boys’ team included Falanga in the 400 (4th, 37.85), Proto in the 600 (5th, 1:29.35), Bryce Mase in the 1,000 (7th, 2:56.49) and O’Connor in the 1,000 (8th, 2:59.68); as well as the 4x200 team of Falanga, Tyler Hawk, Shelby Franklin and Nick Schneidt (5th, 1:41.07) and the SMR team of Mase, Schneidt, Franklin and Conforte (6th, 4:03.51).
For the girls, points were also scored by Boyers in the long jump (6th, 15-5), Maggie Dulak in the 600 (7th, 1:51.53), Sara Olsen in the 300 (8th, 46.62), the 4x200 team of Katie Stevens, Jess Zumbo, Olsen and Emmy Dulak (7th, 1:57.28); the 4x800 team of Holly Dulak, Jen Levine, Maggie Dulak and Marissa Bale (5th, 11:19.09) and the 4x400 team of Leah Martone, Catie Moran, Allie Sanzari and Holly Dulak (7th, 4:55.73).
Shoreline League Meet #2 Results
Before the Shoreline Championships, the T-Birds competed in Shoreline League Meet #2 on Jan. 25. Here are the results.
Top Boys’ Finishes
- 55M Dash: Shelby Franklin, 11th at 7.1
- 55m Hurdles: Michael Cermola, 12th at 9.9
- 1000: Ryan Proto, 4th at 2:53.1; Bryce Mase, 9th at 2:59.6
- 600: Matt Edwards, 2nd at 1:27.1; Alex Raffone, 3rd at 1:28.7
- 1600: Zach Augur, 11th at 5:03.6
- 300: Edwards, 3rd at 39.2
- Shot Put: Rocco Morgan, 1st at 44-6 ½; Michael Kaiser, 9th at 37-2; and Jim Griskauskas, 13th at 34-9
- 4x800 of Augur, Jason Conforte, Bryce Mase and Jared Miket: 3rd at 8:52.2
- 4x200 of Gary Falanga, Tyler Hawk, Shelby Franklin and Nick Schneidt: 6th at 1:41.9
- SMR of Falanga, Edwards, Alex Raffone and Ryan Proto: 1st, 3:50.5
Top Girls’ Finishes
- 55M Hurdles: Rachel Boyers, 3rdat 9.3; Rachel Sokoloff, 8th at 10.1; Catie Moran, 13th at 10.8
- 55M Dash: Sokoloff, 5th at 7.9; Jess Zumbo, 6th at 7.91; Leah Martino, 11th at 8.1
- 1000: Marissa Bale, 9th at 3:42.7
- 600: Emmy Dulak, 1st at 1:43.3; Maggie Dulak, 6th at 1:53.5; Holly Dulak, 13th at 2:01.9
- 300: Sara Olsen, 8th at 46.3; Katie Stevens, 15th at 47.6
- High Jump: Jordan Miket, 3rd at 4-8
- Shot Put: Jaimy Rippe, 8th at 24-6 ¾; Melissa Agro, 9th at 24-3
- Long Jump: Boyers 2nd at 14-11; Alicia Ableson, 11th at 12-8 ¾
- 4x800 of Bale, Holly Dulak, Maggie Dulak and Jen Levine: 3rd at 11:26.9
- 4x200 of Emmy Dulak, Miket, Sara Olsen, and Zumbo: 2nd at 1:54.2
- 4x400 of Holly Dulak, Leah Martone, Allie Sanzari and Catie Moran: 7th at 4:53.4
- SMR of Emmy Dulak, Maggie Dulak, Katie Stevens and Miket: 2nd at 4:39.8