On Jan. 7, any indoor track athlete who had already achieved a Class S standard in their respective event competed in the Shoreline Coaches Track and Field Invitational at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven. There were 28 schools represented at the meet.
“All the athletes did quite well in the very competitive field,” said Coach Floyd Parness.
Rachel Boyers was the top finisher in the meet, taking third place in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 9.36. Matt Edwards took fourth in the 600 (1:29.91), while Rocco Morgan placed sixth in the shot put with a throw of 40-4.
The boys also had two sixth-place relay teams with the 4x400 team of Bernie Cermola, Edwards, Gary Falanga, and Ryan Proto (3:46.77) and the 4x800 team of Cermola, Proto, Jason Conforte and Kevin Walker (8:56.40).
In the 300, Edwards placed seventh (38.22) followed by Falanga (13th, 39.49) and Bobby Miller (14th, 39.5). In the 55, Christian Perrotti was ninth (7.06) while Miller and Cory Onofrio each ran a 7.35.
Jessica Wharton’s throw of 27-2 in the shot put gave her ninth place followed by Alexis Johnson in 13th (24-9). The 4x200 team of Miranda Jassil, Jordan Miket, Natalie Baughan and Katelyn Pantera came in 10th at 1:59.31. In the 300, Miket came in 10th (46.68), Jassil took 14th (47.23) and Baughan came in 18th (48.08).
Other finishers for the T-Birds included:
- Sprint medley team of Christian Iuteri, Andrew Sarmento, Sean O’Connor and Alex Raffone: 12th, 4:12.39
- Onofrio: 14th in the long jump, 18-1
- Jordan Rippe: 16th in the shot put, 34-11 ½
- Proto: 14th in the 600, 1:33.09
- Alex Raffone: 26th in the 600, 1:38.73
- Conforte: 18th in the 1,000, 2:59.16
- O’Connor: 22nd in the 1,000, 3:05.04
- Walker in the 3,200: 18th, 10:50
- 4x200 team of freshman Sarmento, Austin Calamita, Iuteri and John Acker: 20th, 1:51.06
- 4x400 team of Marissa Bale, Sara Olsen, Rachel Sokolff and Pantera: 11th, 4:52.13
- Sprint Medley Relay Team of Sarah McDonald, Marissa Bale, Olsen, and Sokolff: 13th, 5:04.31