The North Branford High School indoor track teams opened 2013 by competing in the Shoreline Coaches Track and Field Invitational on Jan. 5 and the Shoreline League Meet #1 on Jan. 7. Both meets were held at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven.
Shoreline Coaches Invite
In order to participate in the Shoreline Coaches Invitational, athletes needed to achieve Class S standard in their respective events. The boys’ team placed second and the girls were seventh in the 30-team field.
“All the athletes did quite well in the very competitive field,” said Coach Floyd Parness.
For the boys, two relay teams took top honors as the 4x400 team of Matt Edwards, Gary Falanga, Ryan Proto and Alex Raffone (3:36.01) and the 4x800 team of Proto, Jason Conforte, Edwards and Sean O’Connor (8:46.94). Other athletes who scored points in their events were Edwards in the 600 (2nd, 1:28.12), Raffone in the 300 (3rd, 38.05), Rocco Morgan in the shot put (4th, 43-4) and Falanga in the 300 (6th, 38.26).
On the girls’ side, Rachel Boyers was victorious in the 55-meter hurdles (9.07). The 1,600 SMR team of Emmy Dulak, Maggie Dulak, Rachel Sokoloff and Sara Olsen placed second at 4:41.54 and Emmy Dulak took third in the 600 (1:42.52).
Other athletes competing for the boys’ team included the 4x200 team of Falanga, Shelby Franklin, Andrew Sarmento and Nick Schneidt (10th, 1:42.08); O’Connor in the 1,000 (19th, 3:00.22); Raffone (8th, 1:29.38) and Proto (14th, 1:32.94) in the 600; and the SMR team of Zach Augur, Schneidt, Bryce Mase and Tyler Hawk (15th, 4:19.84).
For the girls, competitors included Sokoloff in the 55 hurdles (11th, 10.16); Boyers in the long jump (14th, 14-10 ½); the 4x800 team of Holly Dulak, Maggie Dulak, Jen Levine and Marissa Bale (9th, 11:29.47); the 4x200 team of Emmy Dulak, Jordan Miket, Sara Olsen and Katie Stevens (11th, 1:59.6); and Sara Olsen (18th, 48.01) and Katie Stevens (19th, 48.05) in the 300.
Shoreline League Meet #1
The T-Birds shined at the Shoreline League Meet #1. Here are the results.
- Boys’ 4x800: Zack Augur, Chris Kruglik, Bryce Mase and Jared Miket, 3rd, 9:32.3
- Boys’ 4x200: Will Coleman, Shelby Franklin, Tyler Hawk and Nick Schneidt, 4th, 1:46.1 Boys’ 4x400: Edwards, Falanga, Proto and Raffone, 1st, 3:37.3
- Boys’ SMR: Conforte, Will Coleman, Shelby Franklin and Schneidt, 6th, 4:11.4
- Girls’ 4x800: Bale, Holly Dulak, Maggie Dulak and Levine, 3rd, 11:11.3
- Girls’ 4x400: Holly Dulak, Leah Martone, Catie Moran and Allie Sanzari, 5th, 4:38.4
- Girls’ 4x200: Deanna Gallo, Catie Moran, Olsen and Stevens, 6th, 2:03.1
- Girls’ SMR: Emmy Dulak, Maggie Dulak, Miket and Stevens, 2nd, 4:45.4
Top Boys’ Individual Places
- Shot Put: Morgan, 1st, 45-7 ¾
- 600: Edwards, 1st, 1:29 and Raffone, 2nd, 1:29.8
- 55-meter dash: Franklin, 9th, 6.9
- 1,000: Proto, 5th, 2:45.5; O’Connor, 10th, 2:59.0; Conforte 11th, 2:59.4
- 1,600: Augur, 9th, 5:11.6
- 300: Falanga, 3rd, 38.4
- High Jump: Michael Cermola, 5th, 5-2
Top Girls’ Individual Places
- 55-meter hurdles: Boyers, 1st, 8.7; Sokoloff, 9th, 10.0
- 55-meter dash: Sokoloff, 5th, 8.0
- 1,000: Emmy Dulak, 1st, 3:16.2; Bale, 7th, 3:47.1
- 600: Maggie Dulak, 4th, 1:54.9; Holly Dulak, 8th, 1:58.0
- High Jump: Miket, 1st, 4-10
- Shot Put: Melissa Agro, 12th, 22-11
- Long Jump: Boyers 3rd, 15-10; Catie Moran, 8th, 13-4